The church membership grew rapidly under Pastor Johnson’s leadership, and by 1924 it was apparent that the frame building, which had been quite adequate at the time of purchase, was too small for the rapidly growing membership. And although worship continued there under very crowded conditions for the next two years, more space was needed for this growing congregation. A building program was launched at the Second and Phillips Street location that began with a 60 X 70 feet basement. It would be used for worship until additional funds could be raised to complete the planned two story facility. In less than two years, the basement had to be expanded because of continued congregational growth and that project was completed in 1928.