Archives: Timeline Stories

Archives: Timeline Stories

2000s – present
October 8, 2019 stjohn

After intensive prayer and following the leadership of the Holy Spirit, Pastor Jemison and the St. John church family embarked on a building program designed to meet that need.  The construction was financed by a $1.5 million bond issue which was launched during the month of September 2006.  This new facility (shown below) is attached to the..Read More

Read More
1980s – part3
October 8, 2019 stjohn

Pastors Jackson and Jemison shared the desire to see that children would be provided with a safe, Christian atmosphere for learning.  With that in mind, the Church gave birth to the St. John Christian Heritage Academy in 1989; the Academy is a pre-school through sixth grade program that enjoys full-accreditation from the Oklahoma State Department..Read More

Read More
1980s – part2
October 8, 2019 stjohn

With the growing membership, staff, ministries and activities, the church was again in need of additional space.  Therefore, in April, 1985, a $1.25 million bond drive was launched for the second phase of construction at the Kelley Avenue location.   During the second phase, the “John Wesley and Hattie Johnson Manse” was relocated and restored at..Read More

Read More
1980s – part 1
October 8, 2019 stjohn

The St. John family continued to grow with the new church facility and a number of new ministries, staff and activities were added or expanded throughout the late 1970s and the 1980s, including a Drama Ministry and a Children’s Church worship service just to name a few.  A most significant addition to the St. John..Read More

Read More
1960s
October 8, 2019 stjohn

The years of Christian growth and service to God and the community continued.   Then, there was a period of sadness for our church.  In 1960, Mother Hattie Johnson became gravely ill, and on December 24, Christmas Eve, she passed.  On September 1, 1961, less than a year later, Pastor Johnson passed, also.   These events, though..Read More

Read More
1950s
October 8, 2019 stjohn

Co-Pastor Jackson realized that additional space was needed to expand the educational ministries of the church, and he proposed the addition of an educational building.   This proposal was accepted by the church and in June 1951, a ground breaking ceremony was held.  In one short year, the $150,000 three story building was completed and St…Read More

Read More
1940s
October 8, 2019 stjohn

Some years later, Pastor Johnson’s health began to wane again.  He approached the church with a request for assistance, and recommended his son in the ministry, Reverend Walter K. Jackson, Pastor of the Corinth Baptist Church in Ardmore, Oklahoma.   After Rev. Jackson prayed about the move, he and his wife, Eula Lee accepted the invitation.  ..Read More

Read More
1930s
October 8, 2019 stjohn

Then, in 1930 – in the middle of the Great Depression – the St. John church family baffled the community by launching a building program to erect a sanctuary over the basement in which they were worshipping.  In 1931 Pastor Johnson became gravely ill and had to leave the state for a period of rest..Read More

Read More
1924 -1928
October 8, 2019 stjohn

The church membership grew rapidly under Pastor Johnson’s leadership, and by 1924 it was apparent that the frame building, which had been quite adequate at the time of purchase, was too small for the rapidly growing membership.  And although worship continued there under very crowded conditions for the next two years, more space was needed..Read More

Read More
1921
October 8, 2019 stjohn

During the early days of its existence, the St. John church family was worshipping in a “Hide House.”   A “Hide House” was a factory type one-room building used for curing meat products located on East Main at Stiles Street, near what is now downtown Oklahoma City.  Rev. Johnson began his pastorate by moving the congregation..Read More

Read More