Then, in 1930 – in the middle of the Great Depression – the St. John church family baffled the community by launching a building program to erect a sanctuary over the basement in which they were worshipping. In 1931 Pastor Johnson became gravely ill and had to leave the state for a period of rest and recuperation – right in the midst of the building project. With the aid of Mrs. J.M.C. Amos, a strong Christian woman famous for her fundraising ability, and the strong leadership of the church’s deacons, the membership prayed, gave and worked as the church went up bit by bit. According to historical accounts, everyone contributed as best they could. Much of the labor for construction was donated by members of the church. Some sold dinners and sandwiches, some walked to work to save bus fare in order to contribute to the building fund. They held all night prayer meetings, and then went to work the following day. Some say the church was built by a miracle, some say it was built by prayer. However it is described, only God — with a group of committed Christians — could have done such a thing at such a time. Pastor Johnson began to regain his health and was able to resume pastoral responsibilities early in 1933, and shortly thereafter the sanctuary was completed. The church held a grand “Entrance Celebration” on the first Sunday in June, 1933 thus beginning a St. John Church tradition to celebrate on this date each year.