Church History

Church History

Church History

Church History
1919
January 12

1919

St. John Missionary Baptist Church was organized on January 12, 1919 by approximately 80 members, with Dr. W. D. Hill as the first Pastor.  The church operated under his leadership until September 1919, when he was called to pastor a church in Missouri.   After Reverend Hill’s departure, the congregation searched for a new pastor while..Read More
1920
August 1

1920

1920
In August 1920, Reverend John Wesley Johnson from St. Louis, Missouri was invited to conduct a revival for the church.  This added approximately seventy-five members to the congregation, and as a result, in September of 1920, Rev. J. W. Johnson accepted the call as pastor.
1921
March 1

1921

During the early days of its existence, the St. John church family was worshipping in a “Hide House.”   A “Hide House” was a factory type one-room building used for curing meat products located on East Main at Stiles Street, near what is now downtown Oklahoma City.  Rev. Johnson began his pastorate by moving the congregation..Read More
1924
January 1

1924 -1928

1924 -1928
The church membership grew rapidly under Pastor Johnson’s leadership, and by 1924 it was apparent that the frame building, which had been quite adequate at the time of purchase, was too small for the rapidly growing membership.  And although worship continued there under very crowded conditions for the next two years, more space was needed..Read More
1930
January 1

1930s

1930s
Then, in 1930 – in the middle of the Great Depression – the St. John church family baffled the community by launching a building program to erect a sanctuary over the basement in which they were worshipping.  In 1931 Pastor Johnson became gravely ill and had to leave the state for a period of rest..Read More
1940
January 1

1940s

1940s
Some years later, Pastor Johnson’s health began to wane again.  He approached the church with a request for assistance, and recommended his son in the ministry, Reverend Walter K. Jackson, Pastor of the Corinth Baptist Church in Ardmore, Oklahoma.   After Rev. Jackson prayed about the move, he and his wife, Eula Lee accepted the invitation.  ..Read More
1950
January 1

1950s

1950s
Co-Pastor Jackson realized that additional space was needed to expand the educational ministries of the church, and he proposed the addition of an educational building.   This proposal was accepted by the church and in June 1951, a ground breaking ceremony was held.  In one short year, the $150,000 three story building was completed and St...Read More
1960
January 1

1960s

The years of Christian growth and service to God and the community continued.   Then, there was a period of sadness for our church.  In 1960, Mother Hattie Johnson became gravely ill, and on December 24, Christmas Eve, she passed.  On September 1, 1961, less than a year later, Pastor Johnson passed, also.   These events, though..Read More
1980
January 1

1980s – part 1

1980s – part 1
The St. John family continued to grow with the new church facility and a number of new ministries, staff and activities were added or expanded throughout the late 1970s and the 1980s, including a Drama Ministry and a Children’s Church worship service just to name a few.  A most significant addition to the St. John..Read More
January 2

1980s – part2

With the growing membership, staff, ministries and activities, the church was again in need of additional space.  Therefore, in April, 1985, a $1.25 million bond drive was launched for the second phase of construction at the Kelley Avenue location.   During the second phase, the “John Wesley and Hattie Johnson Manse” was relocated and restored at..Read More